Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Snow Day

Good morning!

Second semester of my last year of pharmacy classes is in full swing and I've been super busy. This week we have had some crazy snowy weather here in Atlanta so I'm taking advantage of the impromptu break to post. I've been wanting to give you guys a peek into the classes I'm currently taking so here are some of the ones I'm taking this semester:

Integrated Therapeutics IV: This is the final term of our Integrated Therapeutics series. For those of you who have never heard of Integrated Therapeutics, it is a sort of combination class where we first learn the pharmacology of a disease state (what drugs are used to treat it and how they work), then the medicinal chemistry of the agents, and finally drug therapeutics (how and when to use the medications). Right now in IT IV we are learning oncologic (cancer) therapy. It's really challenging as you can imagine but I've been surprised by how much I like it. One of our professors in the class is an oncology pharmacist who recently finished her residency in oncology in Chicago. She's a great teacher and has definitely made me more interested in the field.

Toxicology: This class is very similar to our IT classes but it focuses on the toxic capabilities of various agents. This semester we've covered topics like environmental toxins as well as drug toxicities that affect different organ systems. It has been really eye-opening to see how many things can easily become toxins. It's probably my hardest class this semester but it's really interesting.

Biologics and Biopharmaceutics: I think most people have read (or at least seen) recent articles online about topics like nanotechnology and gene therapy in the advancement of medicine. This class focuses on how those (and more!) recent technologies are being implemented in medicine. We also talk about recent advancements and the new technologies that are currently being developed.

As you can see there is a lot going on for us at the moment. Luckily for us we're getting a little bit of a break to catch up due to the weather.

I'm leaving you guys with a photo of my driveway at the moment to prove I am staying inside today (and blogging) for a reason.

Wish me luck getting out eventually!


Katie



No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.