Saturday, January 12, 2013

Student Research

Good afternoon!

This week I wanted to talk to you about student research at PCOM. I am currently a work-study research assistant at school and have been working with one of my professors on projects since last July. Before I came to pharmacy school I had never really thought about doing research but after I took a class with the professor I currently work with, I knew I wanted to get involved in the process. There are so many different projects going on in our research labs and if you are interested in doing research as a student at PCOM you can talk to our professors about possible opportunities. Last year, I approached my professor about his project and during the summer he hired me to work with his current student. They both worked with me throughout the break to help me learn all of the diverse lab techniques I needed to know to handle my project. When school started the student I had been working with left the lab and I took over her work. I now work about 10-15 hours a week in the afternoons after classes are over. It been a lot of fun and because students from all of our programs work in the labs, I've met a lot of really awesome friends I would have never met otherwise. I have really enjoyed the experience and will be sad when it's my turn to move on to other things but I know that it will be opening up the position to someone else who will no doubt love the experience. 

Here's a picture of some of our pharmacy students who worked in the lab over the summer:


Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.