Sunday, January 27, 2013

Lesson #1: Studying

Hey there guys,

This week I wanted to talk about something I get asked about all the time: Studying. Studying is definitely the most time consuming part of pharmacy school and for many it's the hardest adjustment when starting the program. When I was in my undergrad I always thought I was a pretty dedicated student, but when I started at PCOM I realized I wasn't nearly as committed as I needed to be. I really had to change my study habits completely. While studying is different for everyone in my program I thought I would share with you what my study schedule is like.

During my first year of pharmacy school I didn't work so I had all the time in the world to study and I used it all. Every day at noon after class (except for lab days and IPPE days) I would head into one of PCOM's study rooms with a friend or two and start studying. We would often order pizza or get food to warm up in the cafeteria and stay for hours. Even if I didn't have anyone to study with I would try to go in for at least an hour or two. The wonderful thing about getting out so early in the afternoon was that I was able to study for a good while and still be home in time to eat a good dinner and have some free time. On Saturdays I would meet up with a group and study all day. It worked well for me and I was pleasantly surprised with my grades for the year.

This year my study schedule has had to shift drastically. In addition to an increase in the rigor of my classes I also started working first one and then two jobs. I could no longer study my afternoons away. That meant that I had to learn to work in the spaces that were left open after classes and shifts at work. It was hard at first, but I adapted pretty quickly. As it stands today, I still get to watch football and spend time with my friends. Now I just have to bring my notes with me and study while I do it. It's all about dedication and if you're willing and able to make studying a part of your daily life, you can succeed in pharmacy school.



Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.